3 Minute Steak Hoagies with Homemade Steak Sauce
• 1 large shallot, coarsely chopped
• 1 red Holland or Fresno chili pepper
• 2 large cloves garlic
• 2 large fresh bay leaves
• 1 tsp. mustard seed or dry mustard (1/3 palmful)
• 1/4 cup dry sherry
• 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tbsp. black peppercorns
• 1 cup organic ketchup or low-sugar ketchup
• 2 tbsp. soy sauce or Tamari (dark soy sauce)
• 1 cup beef stock
• 1 tbsp. high-temperature cooking oil, such as canola or peanut oil
• 1 1/2 pounds Texas Heritage Flank Steak
• 4 hoagie rolls of your choice
• 1 big bundle watercress, upland cress or baby arugula
Sauce: In food processor bowl, combine the shallot, chili pepper, garlic, bay leaves, mustard seed, sherry, Worcestershire sauce and peppercorns and process into a smooth paste. Place the paste into a pot and combine with the ketchup, soy sauce and beef stock. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Cool and refrigerate for a make-ahead meal.
Pre-heat the oven to 325 •F to crisp the bread.
Reheat the sauce over medium-low heat.
Place the flank steak in the freezer for 5 minutes or until cold. Remove and shred or cut the cold flank steak against the grain. Throw the bread in the oven to crisp it up. In a skillet, heat the oil to over high heat until it smokes. Add the meat and toss for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and combine the steak with the warm sauce. Cut the rolls open and stuff the hoagies with the spicy greens and the hot ‘n saucy steak.